Every ten years, local governments use new census data to redraw their district lines to reflect how local populations have changed. Federal and state law requires Community College Districts to engage communities in the redistricting process by holding public hearings and doing public outreach, including to non-English-speaking communities. After a thorough review process, the Peralta CCD Board of Trustees adopted redrawn districts at their February 22, 2022 meeting.
|Summary of Redistricting Law, Criteria, Process, and 2020 Census Pre-Draft Map Public Hearing||Tue. January 25, 2022 – 7:30 pm|
|Presentation and Adoption of Draft Board of Trustees Boundaries Map(s) Pre-Final Map Public Hearing||Tue. February 8, 2022 – 7:30 pm|
|Presentation and Adoption of Final Board of Trustees Boundaries Map Final Public Hearing||Tue. February 22, 2022 – 7:30 pm|
Frequently Asked Questions
Redistricting determines which neighborhoods and communities are grouped together into a district for purposes of electing a Trustee.
After a thorough review process, the Peralta CCD Board of Trustees adopted redrawn districts at their February 22, 2022 meeting.
To the extent practicable, district lines were adopted using the following criteria:
- Geographically contiguous districts
- The geographic integrity of local neighborhoods or communities shall be respected in a manner that minimizes its division
- The geographic integrity of a city shall be respected in a manner that minimizes its division
- Easily identifiable boundaries that follow natural or artificial barriers (rivers, streets, highways, rail lines, etc.)
- Lines shall be drawn to encourage geographic compactness. In addition, boundaries shall not be drawn for purposes of favoring or discriminating against a political party
The Board of Trustees has finished holding public hearings to receive public input on where district lines should be drawn. The public input hearings were held on:
Pre-Draft Map Public Hearing
Tue. January 25, 2021 @ 7:30pm
Draft Map Adoption/Pre-Final Map Public Hearing
Tue. February 8, 2022 @ 7:30pm
Final Map Public Hearing/Final Map Adoption
Tue. February 22, 2022 @ 7:30pm
All public input hearings were held virtually online or at the District offices located at:
Peralta Community College District
333 East 8th Street
Oakland, California 94606